Call for expressions of interest in UNFCCC Regional Climate Weeks
25/05/18 Filed in: Announcement
The Regional Climate Weeks are organized by the UNFCCC secretariat with the Nairobi Framework Partnership partner agencies and hosted by different Governments in three regions throughout the year. They are so far organized in Africa, the Asia Pacific and in Latin America and the Caribbean. The goal of Regional Climate Weeks is to support Parties in the implementation of Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs) under the Paris Agreement and the Sustainable Development Goals by mobilizing stakeholders across the region.
Two Regional Climate Weeks that are still to take place this year are:
- Asia Pacific Climate Week (APCW), 11-13 July 2018 in Singapore;
- Latin America and Caribbean Climate Week (LACCW), 20-23 August 2018 in Montevideo, Uruguay.
The Regional Climate Weeks present the following valuable opportunities to the stakeholders of the Marrakech Partnership for Global Climate Action (MPGCA):
1. To directly engage the regional policy-makers and other stakeholders and to enhance climate action tailored to specific regional contexts;
2. To ensure the needed continuity of the MPGCA activities throughout the year as the stepping stones during the inter-sessional period;
3. To enable the MPGCA to expand its stakeholder base to the developing countries.
The Global Climate Action team of the UNFCCC Secretariat therefore offer the MPGCA stakeholders opportunities to coordinate among themselves to organize events with the support of the secretariat.
On the sidelines of the events at the Regional Climate Weeks, the secretariat is also planning to:
- Provide support to MPGCA non-Party stakeholders, including coalitions and initiatives, to engage and/or interact with Government representatives participating at the Regional Climate Weeks;
- Provide briefing sessions to non-Party stakeholders from the region on the work of the MPGCA;
- Support non-Party stakeholder leaders in engaging with policy makers.
Visit the Nairobi Framework Partnership website
to find out more.